Don’t discard the pits from your boxes of dates – they can be germinated to produce elegant palm plants. Your kids will enjoy the challenge of making their own mini-incubator and watching the seemingly-dead stones sprout into life.
Here’s how you do it …
- Clean the flesh off the stones
- Leave them to soak in a cup of water for a few days to soften
- Arrange them between two sheets of moist kitchen roll, and carefully slide it all into a sealable plastic bag to create a tiny greenhouse
- Keep the bag in a warm, dark place, making sure it doesn’t dry out, until the stones sprout (see right)
- Pot up the seedlings carefully and keep in a warm, bright location, making sure the soil never dries out.